Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Michael Murgo - Becoming a Gendered Body


Over winter break, I had to get an oil change. In the waiting area, I sat near a man and his daughter, who appeared to be about 6 years old. He watched a football game on television while she repeated the verse “that’s the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh uh-huh” many, many times. I thought she was never going to stop, until she noticed something that was peculiar to her--her father sat with his legs crossed. I found it intriguing that this simple bodily arrangement caught the girl’s eye and was peculiar enough to cause a disruption in her attention. The girl told her dad that he was crossing his legs and that he needed to uncross them. She asked if he was a girl, and then she kept saying, “You’re going to marry Mark! You’re a girl!” The dad just kept saying “no” while smiling intermittently yet primarily focusing his attention on the television screen. This event was a spectacle for me. I couldn’t believe that a girl at such a young age was policing gender. It got me thinking—how old was this girl when she first started recognizing and accepting gender norms? Why does she feel that she needs to police gender? How did she learn about gender norms?
In Karin A. Martin’s article Becoming a Gendered Body: Practices of Preschools, Martin explores these questions through observing various behaviors of children in the preschool setting, which reminded me of my experience in the waiting room. The first of Martin’s ideas that struck me was that gender is both a performance and an embodiment. We perform and display our gender through mannerisms, clothing, and behavior, yet our gender is also a deep “part of whom we are physically and psychologically.”  It is planted at such a young age and is constantly reinforced so that it is difficult to recognize it and even think that other gender non-conforming options exist. Gender is so influential that it affects people’s inner selves.
The article describes how women’s relative lack of confidence and agency stem from an inability to move freely as children. Girls are typically limited by their restrictive clothing which leads to a restrictive and reserved lifestyle. In the reading, two girls who wore overalls experimented with a new way of sitting by placing their feet on a table and leaning back. The two girls in dresses did not do this. Practicing a restricted way of handling one’s body leads to a future of the same. This may be why boys are so much more active—their activity is not restricted by their clothing, while girls’ activity is, whether it is from dresses or shoes with worse treads on their shoes. Uncomfortable tights with dresses led to girls spending much time rearranging and pulling at their clothes, creating a larger sense of physical self-awareness and possibly shame about their bodies, which carries on to their later lives. As a feminist myself, I value yet am shocked and repulsed by these findings. For me, it is novel to think of all the parents in this country who send their daughters off to preschool in a little dress and tights, completely unaware of the damage that they are doing and the future implications of their seemingly harmless actions. If parents want to their daughters to grow up to be confident women with a sense of agency and an understanding of their bodies’ capacities, they need to let their children “move confidently in space,” “take up space,” and  “use one's body to its fullest extent.” They cannot do this in their restrictive clothing and poorly constructed footwear. The clothes in which parents dress their children mold the experiences of the children in gendered ways.
Martin’s piece was extremely eye-opening, and left me wanting to know more. I wish she would have included the topic of transgendered individuals in her research, but perhaps that topic is out of the scope of this study. Moreover, many of the findings were intriguing, but some went unexplained. Why are teachers scolding girls for not following the rules while merely giving boys a figurative “slap on the wrist”? Would these findings be the same if the teacher were a man? What is it about girls that allow them to get the short end of the stick without teachers even realizing their giving it? I hope to explore these questions in future readings and lessons.

7 comments:

  1. I am glad that you mentioned the part of Martin's piece that discusses how clothing has ultimately set a precedent on what these little girls can and cannot do. Martin brings up a great point in saying that despite the physical restrictions that the clothing may have on each girl, there is also a mental aspect in a sense that these girls are supposed to act a certain way while wearing a dress, or nice shoes, etc. The fact of the matter is, and we see this when Martin talks about how while Frances was playing dress up and being observed, that these girls see and generalize how they are supposed to act from their mothers, sisters, and perhaps other role models.
    One thing that I do not exactly see eye to eye on is how you deem it "wrong" for mothers to dress their daughters up in what some might consider girly clothing. I agree with your argument that girls should not be forced to wear a dress, while sweatpants should be totally acceptable, but after analyzing Martin's data, these girls who play dress-up usually end up dressing themselves as feminine as possible. While Frances was being observed, she continued to add to her costume with more feminine things, which ultimately raises the question of is this what Frances wants or is this what Frances thinks is socially correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, it is important that Mike stressed Martin's point that women feel less agentic than men because they are socialized to believe that they should take up as little space as possible and that instrumentality is "unfeminine." If women do not learn at a young age that they should always strive to reach their full potentials, even if that means going against gender role stereotypes, then they are less likely to reach their peak levels of success in the future. I can recall many childhood instances in which my parents encouraged me to partake in less "rough-and-tumble" extracurricular activities, while my brother was encouraged to join sports teams and would be applauded when he came home with a bruise that signified his athletic efforts and abilities. When societal expectations do not allow for a little girl to reach her full potential, she may start to believe that she truly lacks the capability to achieve a goal and will start to internalize the idea that she simply cannot accomplish the same things as a man, despite her passion or effort.
    I found the anecdote about the little girl critiquing her father's cross-legged sitting position to be relevant to Martin's idea of the creation of gendered bodies during childhood. The fact that the little girl insisted that her father uncross his legs proves the impact that rigid social constructions of gender have on children. Children begin to view these gender norms as laws that must be obeyed or risk facing ridicule and/or punishment. Children feel compelled to meet these gender expectations in public settings, such as when Bill claims he likes every color BUT pink, to establish that they are, in fact, "law abiding" citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Mike: I too believe that it is terrible that it is terrible that young girls are confined due to their clothing, but I have also noticed how older girls and women are too. One of my friends went out this weekend, in heels, and her feet were so constrained and she was so uncomfortable and had many blisters after the night was through. Women are confined throughout their lives with uncomfortable or obnoxious clothing because they want to look good, and society has told them that they must wear heels if they want the full experience.
    In response to Alexa: One of my best friends in high school played football in the travel league in my town with my younger brother. She was a girl, and the only one at that. Many people were surprised by her decision to play, but her parents let her anyway and definitely supported her immensely. I am sorry to hear that your parents encouraged you not to pursue activities that they considered "rough", because it is definitely very limiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with the point that both Mike and Martin made that restrictive clothing on young girls influences the process of growing up. But the point Dakota made about the similar difficulty women have with their clothing choices is relevant and interesting as well. Especially on a college campus, we have the most elite access to the sociological behaviors of young people in groups. Going out on a Saturday night, girls wear sky-high heels, mini skirts (even in the winter), tight shirts and tons of makeup, which are restrictions that severely impact their ability to move. One of my friends once complained 'I wish I could wear a teeshirt and sneakers out; I would have so much more fun not having to worry about my appearance." My friend's sentiment echoes Martin's claim that young girls are socialized to value their appearance above most other things. If one looks at Disney princesses, for example, the worth and fate of each are largely based on their outer appearance. Even little girls are taught that a compliment about their appearance is fundamentally a compliment about their personal value and achievement. However, there are so many infinitely more important aspects of a female than the way she looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree with the point Mike made. His focus on Martin's point about girls' restrictive clothing definitely stuck out to me. It made me think of an experience I had when I was younger. I remember playing outside and my friends and I were jumping off the steps to my house repeatedly. One of the friends was a girl who was wearing a dress. I remember her having to tightly hold on to her dress in order to make sure that when she jump she didn't give anyone a show. I didn't really pay attention to it then, I was just glad that I didn't have to do it. In response to Blair, this past Saturday, one of my female friends went to the dance wear just a t-shirt, jeans and some flat boots. This friend is someone who hardly ever leaves her room without make-up and every Saturday has to wear a pair of heels, a skirt/dress or at least some nice dress pants. After the dance she told me that it was probably one of her best Saturday nights at Conn because she was able to dance and move around as freely as she wanted without causing her self any pain. This whole idea of gender restricting clothes is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josephine Bingler

    The section on girls' restrictive clothing stuck out to me as well and caused me to reflect on my own pre-school days. As a young girl, I loved bows, skirts, dresses, and Easy-Bake ovens. But did I only love these things because they were encouraged and positively reinforced because I was fitting into the gender norms of society? I remember being scolded by my teachers and parents for coming home with dirt on my dress while my brother faced no repercussions for the dirt and holes in his clothing. It is upsetting to realize that my education, parenting, and society succeeded in gendering me may have restricted my self-expression and individualism without me fully realizing it. But then I wonder what repercussions I may have faced if I had attempted to live a gender neutral life. For this reason, it is hard for me to imagine gender norms ever truly disappearing from our society.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the fact that you bring up gender as a performance Mike. Seeing gender as a performance proves that gender is a social construction. There is no reason that boys cannot act and dress as girls and no reason why girls cannot act and dress as boys other than the fact that society says that if they do that then they are not normal. Furthermore they fact that there is term for girls who act as boys (tomboys) and not one for boys who act as girls other than the term gay angers me. Children should not understand gender at the age of 3 or 5 they should just be kids. The fact that the little girl told her father to uncross his legs shows how much society has an effect on gender and how prevalent it is to little children as they grow older.

    Jae replying to Mike

    ReplyDelete