Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Rise of the Adonis Complex - Mike Murgo

Contrary to popular belief, body issues are not just women's issues. Men have these issues as well, but because of social pressure to not express emotion or weakness, men tend to chose to be quiet about the issues and thus suffer silently. The Rise of The Adonix Complex explores men's body issues. In 1997, a survey was taken that indicated that men's insecurities about their bodies were at a new high. A whopping 43% of men were found to be dissatisfied with their bodies, and men even outnumbered women in terms of dissatisfaction with their chests, in an age where boob jobs were on the rise. Only 18% of men said they were not concerned with their appearance, and men were found to be more likely to want to look attractive to the opposite sex than women were. Even boys as young as 5 or 6 said that they would prefer to be muscular than thin or fat. It's no surprise, then, to learn that men often have distorted body images where they perceive themselves as looking different from the way they really do. The more a person focuses on their body image, the worse s/he tends to feel about how s/he looks.
How did men become so concerned with their bodies, though, when they weren't this way a century ago? The author points to the advent of anabolic steroids, which brought male bodies to a new level of muscularity never before seen in nature. Once these bodies hit Hollywood by the 1980s, men started to see them and think that, with enough time in the gym, they could also achieve these unnaturally muscled bodies. This image of the giant male body became pervasive and even influenced young boys' action toys, like GI Joe, Star Wars, and super heroes. Suddenly, these toys have broad shoulders and large, muscled bodies that they didn't have a number of years ago, which gives young boys a standard that they feel they must live up to. Even in Playgirl, from when it was first published in 1973 to the time of this study about 25 years later, the centerfold men lost 12 pounds of fat and gained 27 pounds of muscle. This phenomenon tracks the evolution of our perception of the ideal, attractive male body. Moreover, companies play on these newly pervasive male insecurities by advertising for products that will help remove these insecurities. I was once told that the best way to sell a product is to make the consumer feel bad about him/herself. Once the person feels badly, you can offer them a product that will solve their misfortune, like a hair restoration product or a weight loss supplement. Companies make money by playing off of insecurities, so they do it more often, which leads the consumer very insecure. Also, photo-touched images create perfect bodies that are impossible to achieve, which leads men to feel inadequate. These are just some of the ways that the male body image crisis came about.
Personally, I will admit that I have been a part of the "crisis." All my life, up until middle school, I was very heavy and used to being picked on for it. At my max weight at the time, I was a 210 pound twelve year old. After 6th grade, when I wore sweatshirts every day to hide my body, I realized I didn't want to live like that anymore. I started working out, eating healthier, and cutting down my portion sizes. By the time I was 14 and in 8th grade, I weighed 165 pounds. My mom grew concerned that I had an eating disorder, and she even took me to a doctor who said I was fine. I wasn't completely fine, though. Looking back, I had the "distorted body image" that the author writes about. Even though I had made enormous progress in burning body fat, I still looked in the mirror and thought my body was hideous and could use more work to achieve a "perfect" ideal that could never be achieved. I wouldn't even go swimming anymore because I was ashamed of removing my shirt to reveal a body that was in the normal BMI range. Because my mom was so concerned and I think I knew in the back of my mind that something was wrong, I started eating more, exercising less, and ultimately threw out my idea of a "healthy" living style. I gained twenty pounds the summer after middle school and a new perspective about my body, noticing that I still looked okay. Once I quit track after sophomore year, I put on even more weight which ultimately led to me becoming overweight again, although still healthy. This time, however, I'm more okay with it. Do I want to be fit and muscular? Sure I do. I still work out and am slowly pursuing my goals, but this time I'm doing it with a more realistic body image. This time I'm doing it for myself and for my health instead of doing it in pursuit of an impossible, media-crated body image.

6 comments:

  1. Mike- I think you bring up a really good point when you mention the rise in steroids in our society. With this new drug, people could really push the limits to what a male's body could look like by simply taking this drug. In direct affect, those who weren't taking the drug ultimately could not compete with the ones who were. After reading this article I could not help but think of a couple things. As an avid sports lover, I think about how the evolution of professional athletes and their bodies have done a complete change from the early years to now. Now all athletes, for example baseball players, are ripped and chiseled from stone, while if you take a look at say Babe Ruth (arguably one of the best) who was definitely fat and out of shape. The idea of steroid has even taken over the toy industry. It is amazing to see how the image of the GI Joe and the Hulk have changed over time. Nice Job!- Keith Veronesi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you touched on the "suffer in silence" that men go through in concerns to their bodies. Women do suffer but often times have their friends as a support and motivation group. I can't imagine men turning to their buddies and saying, "Ugh, I just feel so bloated and fat today!". As a girl, I could and have easily said this to my girlfriends who in response tell me I look great. This has its pros and cons. I feel that women's bodies are much more publicly scrutinized but women are learning to put up with this. As I looked around the Smith dining hall, I observe the plates around me. Almost all the women's plates have salads and fruits while the men have loaded their sandwiches with meats and cheeses. For a guy to have a fruit salad for lunch just isn't very manly. Men are so focused on building muscle and keeping their manly image so they don't have to face the scrutiny and damaging insults such as "wuss" and "pussy" that our society make so common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I think it was really incredible of you to share your personal struggles with weight and body image issues. You are an admirable and rare breed of male who does not want to look a certain way in order to conform to unrealistic and detrimental social norms of attractiveness. You want to look a certain way with the motives of maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle. I think that if everyone viewed their body in this way, we would have a much more healthy, happy population of men. I learned in one of my classes that people are more motivated to accomplish something or are much more likely to achieve their goals if their actions are guided by intrinsic, rather than extrinsic, motivational factors. If a man's motivation to tone his muscles or lose weight is motivated by societal ideals of male beauty, they will be more encouraged to work out constantly, use steroids, or eat according to an unhealthful, unsustainable diet regimen in order to meet these standards. When an individual makes a conscious choice to ignore these hypermasculine images and are motivated to eat healthfully and exercise in moderation in order to live a healthy lifestyle, they will be more likely to maintain a more fit physical appearance and less likely to feel the pressure to look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your post, Mike, and appreciate you sharing your personal story with everyone. Like Josie, I like how you brought up the idea of guys "suffering silence." If I'm having a day where I feel badly about my appearance, I can always turn to a girl friend to talk about it and she can sympathize with me and help me feel better. However, I could never imagine my brother or any of my guy friends doing the same thing. Ultimately, men feel a lot of the same pressure that women do to achieve this perfect, unattainable look. Yet men never really talk about it, and that's probably one of the reasons that the statistics in the article are so surprising to everybody. It's easy to ignore the pressure the media is putting on boys and men if they are taught to never talk about it. However, we need to start talking about it before it continues to spiral out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember how me and my brother said we were going to start working out to get in shape. I however was doing sports at the time and felt that I was fine. He however worked out so much. I never understood why but it was probably because he felt he needed to start looking a certain way as he got older. Eventually he stopped working out because he had a lot of work with school but I never though about this notion of “suffering silence”. Perhaps he felt this way from all the social pressure. I'm glad you shred your story Mike because people don't realize how much it takes to actually say that you are okay with your body. Some people are just content with how they look and to those people I respect that because it is very hard to have that mind set in this society.

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men truly do suffer in silence as you said. Not only were you tormented by the media and advertisements, you also felt that you had no one who shared it, which is the worst. Not to mention middle school is probably the worst years of your life. I think it is admirable that you share your struggles with your weight, as I often too refuse to go swimming or wear a shirt in the pool due to my poor body image issues. It wasn't until last year when I finally decided that I was comfortable enough with my body to expose it to my friends, and even then I felt very self-conscious, in part due to the Adonis Complex that has rapidly taken hold of the psyches of men everywhere. I've been trying to lose weight for a while, and I even went vegetarian for a portion of my life. It is easy to want a quick fix, which is what a lot of the men's health magazines sell, but only true hard work and dedication will get you to be where you want is the conclusion that I've come to.

    ReplyDelete