Monday, April 23, 2012

Emily Hunter: Response to "The Rise of the Adonis Complex"


Emily Hunter: Response to “The Rise of the Adonis Complex”

            Being a woman with two best friends who have suffered from anorexia, I have continually been forced to think about the way the ideal female body is portrayed in the media and to analyze the ways in which women of all ages internalize the ideal female images they observe.  On the other hand, I have rarely ever thought about the images of the male body that men internalize.  While reading this piece I began to think of all the times I have heard men make comments about their, or another man’s, body.  For example, there are numerous men that I continually see down at the pool discussing how they needed to bulk up more and get bigger.  Complements fly around the pool deck, such as “Dude, you look insanely huge today.”  If the guys are trying to insult each other they will sometimes poke fun at each other’s bodies, saying “You are so skinny” or “Dude, you look like a girl.”  I have also had numerous conversations with guy friends who hint at the fact they are feeling fat, that they don’t have enough muscle, and that they could be leaner.  They all seem to believe if they did so they would be able to get more girls.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized the male obsession with appearance is everywhere, and for many men this means constantly obsessing over body image.
            The most severe case I have observed of male body image insecurities comes from a boy I met freshman year of college.  When I first met him he was small and very thin and extremely shy.   As college progressed he began to go to the gym to lift.  Once he began to see his body change he became compulsive about going to the gym, eventually going three times a day for two hours each time.  He counted every calorie he consumed, would eat 10 egg whites at every meal, and continually was downing protein shakes.  With such extreme compulsion, his body grew exponentially, as did his confidence around girls.  What is most interesting to me is that while he gained confidence from growing larger, many girls lost interest because his size did not fit with his natural body frame or his personality. This example not only points to the anxieties and desires men feel to appear large and masculine, but also that masculinity is closely related to sexuality and the acquisition of girls.  The larger the boy grew, the more confident in his masculinity the boy became, and thus he believed he could acquire more girls.  In my mind, it was not so much the size of the body of the boy, but the confidence he projected when he felt confident in his masculinity that made him feel he would be more desirable to girls.
            Another section of the reading that I found unbelievable was the evolution of the G.I. Joe figures, especially in the smaller series of these dolls.  The fact that the G.I. Joe dolls of today would have biceps that are as large as his waist reveals how unobtainable these male body image ideals are.  While girls resort to starvation or purging to prevent weight gain, men may feel the desire to turn to steroids or high protein dieting to bulk up.  While starvation and purging seem to be more severe, the affects of steroids or restrictive diets are just as harmful.  When young, impressionable boys are playing with figurines that appear this muscular, they will believe this is the image they must fulfill and this could result in severe male eating or exercise disorders.  With male eating disorders on the rise, I wonder whether the number of self-help organizations for male body image issues has increased or whether men are faced to deal with such mental struggles on their own.  I also wonder if the pressure males feel to develop the ideal masculine body makes them more judgmental of the female body because they expect women to experience the same body image pressures they experience every day.

4 comments:

  1. Emily-I think your first couple of sentences speaks volumes to exactly what this article was trying to portray. You mention that you never really thought about the struggles that males have with maintaining their idea of the perfect body, and that only women struggle with this concept. I was the same way, before I read the article. I have never really thought about the struggles that these males are facing and when I think of plastic surgery and eating disorders, I really only connect it to females, but now I know that men are also struggling mightily as well. I like how you mention about the boy from your freshman year who once he became muscular and was happy with his body, he suddenly was able to feel more and more comfortable around girls. Do girls look for this image in guys? The only way for one to be comfortable around other people is for him to be comfortable with himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily I think you really touched on some important points here. The part of your post that stood out to me was when you discussed how you hear men talk about their bodies, but never really thought about it. I too, after reading this article, can think of many times when I have been around my guy friends or the boy’s water polo team and heard them talk to each other about their bodies. I never thought anything of it, because I just assumed that boys did not have the same issues. Now that I think back on the comments I have heard, how boys seem to constantly talk about and idealize “ripped” or “huge” muscular bodies and how they all lift together in a group, I can see the dissatisfaction they feel. It is disturbing to me that society idealizes these unattainable bodies for men and women. Instead of creating motivation it seems to just breed unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily makes a good point that a females in society we have been taught to be aware of female body image issues. Personally my high school health class spent an entire unit discussing anorexia, bulimia, and other body image issues that female’s experience. Emily makes a good point that no matter how evident male body image issues are they are ignored. I like Emily have noticed how obsessed males are regarding their appearance and their bodies, but have never put their talk into the context of a disorder like I would one of my girl friends. Society immediately becomes worried if a female discusses wanting to lose weight or being unhappy with their bodies, but ignores the issues associated with male body image. Emily makes a good point that male body issues do exist and are just as worrisome as a female battling anorexia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Emily makes an interesting point in saying that girls are more attracted to confidence than over-developed musculature. It is easy for people to become consumed by vanity, as everyone knows, and while an eating disorder is one thing, obsessing over getting very large is another. Both are extremely unhealthy both physically and mentally, yet only one is recognized as a true disorder. It is true that anorexia and bulimia are silently draining the lives of our women, but what do people have to say about men who obsessively work out? Aren't their personalities and goals diminished once they obsess? It seems that this boy that Emily knew lost sight of this goal in the first place, which was to attract girls. Once the girls were no longer attracted to him because he was too large, it seems that he lost sight of what he really wanted in the beginning. These images portrayed by the media really affect everyone, not just girls, but boys too.

    ReplyDelete