Sunday, April 1, 2012

Daddy and Papa- Tina Seretta


“Daddy and Papa” was an interesting documentary that followed the lives of gay couples experiencing the adoption process. What I though was most interesting about the film was the fact that many of the gay men were adopting black boys. Black boys are the least popular to be adopted and gay men are the most uncommon family model that we see today. However, I think in the end those differences will make the families closer, even though it will be a struggle. I really liked the documentary; I thought that it really showed that families could be any group of people as long as there is love. A lot of people in society today still do not feel this way, but after seeing a documentary like that I don’t know how people can still be so judgmental and stuck in their ways.
When Zach’s foster mom was talking about how she was worried about two daddies taking care of Zach she also mentioned that she was worried that being around gay men would turn Zach gay. My high school basketball coach is a lesbian and has one child. Her daughter is around 12 years old now. One time my coach was talking to me, and she said her daughter asked to get her hair cut really short, just like my coaches. The 12-year-old girl told her mother she wanted to be just like her. My coach allowed her to cut her hair, but she was concerned that her sexuality was being forced on her child. She clearly wants her daughter to be herself and embrace her sexuality in whatever way that might be, but my coach was concerned that that family setting her daughter was raised in may have impacted the way her daughter viewed sexuality. I just though that this was such an interesting worry that my coach had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment