Friday, March 9, 2012

John Gallagher Response Miss Respresentation


After watching the documentary Miss Representation I was very alarmed to see some of the statistics along with how men and women are portrayed in our society. The film helped put into perspective what most women go through throughout their lives, and allowed me to look at myself in a different light. First off Americans are far too much engulfed in television, magazine, movies, and pop culture in general.  This is why people (women in particular) are so concerned about their appearance because they feel the need to keep up. The documentary talked about how early girls consume themselves in movies and television.  While we have touched on this concept in class readings, seeing this documentary, like I said, put it all in perspective for me.
Like Keith said in his response, I have never really taken the time to think or really care about my appearance, weight, or complexion.  The saddest part is that women are doing this to appeal to men.  While at the same time, men are still “higher in society” in terms of positions at work etc.  I cannot wrap my head around why this is still an ongoing issue.  Women are portrayed in society and valuable in society for their looks and appearance.  Many of the women in the United States may be over looked even though they are smart and motivated individuals.  Society is more inclined to pay attention to the women that appeal to men and have “good looks.” I hope this changes for the betterment of all people in our society.  Once this culture changes, as I hope it does, I think our society will become more productive and less self-conscious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment