Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Thinking about the Baby" Response by Emily Hunter

“Thinking about the Baby: Gender and Divisions of Infant Care” by Walzer Response by Emily Hunter

 During the final class before spring break we discussed Hollingworth’s article exploring the devices used to impel women to have and raise children. One theme that arose out of this discussion was the idea that a woman’s self-worth can be determined based on whether or not she is a mother, and if she is, whether or not she is a good mother. This same theme can be seen numerous times in Walzer’s article. The worth of a woman being defined through motherhood is first noted when Walzer explained that many mothers worry because they believe they are supposed to be worrying, and that worrying about their child means they are good mothers. This “need” for worrying leads many women to feel they are not fulfilling their role as mothers because they are not constantly thinking about their children. This constant worrying about being a “good” mother begins even before a woman has a child. Personally, I have had numerous discussions with friends regarding who will make a “good” mother and who will not. I (and many of my friends) have already begun to question whether we have what it takes to be successful as mothers. I now wonder whether these questions begin to arise at this age because women move into a new stage of life in which the defining factors of femininity are changing. Yet the worrying mothers experience is not simply based around the child’s health and wellness, but also around how the child’s actions reflect upon the parenting of the mother. Again, this “mother worry” (as Walzer describes it) indicates that women are extremely self-aware as to how they are seen as mothers, and gain or lose self-worth based on how successful they are as mothers.

 One aspect that Walzer did not explore in great detail involves looking at the worries of fathers. Throughout the article Walzer explained that the fathers do not experience the same type of worries that mothers do and the fathers actually take a more laid back role in the family. Yet, Walzer also explains that this may be because society demands that fathers be the primary financial support for the family and for this reason fathers must dedicate more time to work than to the family. I feel that fathers most likely worry about bringing in money as much as mothers worry about the children, but because the two parents worry about different things, tensions may arise within the marriage.

 I also found the section on division of labor within the household to be both humorous and thought provoking. For years I have listened as my mother asked my father why he can’t seem to do any housework unless he is told to. While my parents split many of the household tasks, cleaning has been something that my father does not choose to do without being ordered. The more I thought about this, the more I realized that my mother has always been the one who decided who and what needed to be done in the house while my father and I simply waited for orders. Thinking about this division of labor in the context of the article, I can now understand my mother’s frustration arises from the pressure she feels to keep the house clean with little to no help from other members of the family. Not only does the lack of help frustrate her, but numerous times she has hinted at the fact that my father gets to participate in many physical activities he loves, while she cannot because after her day job she is responsible for cooking dinner and straightening up the house. I always tell her to simply make time for herself, but now I see it may not be as easy as I believe. It is possible that my mother feels the pressure from society to conform to proper household roles and thus does not have as much freedom as my father or me. I therefore believe it is extremely likely that these feelings of oppression mothers experience based on family dynamics have the possibility to create frustration and tension within a marriage.

2 comments:

  1. Emily brought up some important themes in the article that stood out to me as well. Such as how the splitting of household tasks is often delegated by the mother, or how the father may worry just as much as the mother, but about different issues which can create tension. Yet what really stood out to me in Emily’s article is how she talked about that her and her friends wonder already if they will be good parents. I too have taken part in conversations like this, and as Emily said I too think this increase in potential parenting conversation is linked to the changes young people go through in their transitions from school life to “real” life and the challenges ahead of them. Numerous times when I have been babysitting parents have told me I will make a great mom, when they say things like that to me it does not provoke feelings of sentimentality or confidence, instead it makes me feel uneasy and trapped. All I see when I babysit is basically what was described in the article, women who shoulder the primary responsibilities for child rearing, no matter whether both parents have a full time job or if only one does. As the article states: “In a hypothetical game of "chicken," in which the winner is the parent who can wait longer for the other parent to take responsibility for a baby's needs, it is difficult for mothers not to lose. There is a much greater threat to their social identities as mothers than there is for fathers if, in any particular moment, they are not taking responsibility for their baby.” For myself, and I would guess for some of Emily’s friends, the idea of whether they will make a good mother or not is tied up with what they feel they can give up, careers, friends, personal time, sports, clubs, in the name of motherhood, and still be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Emily that much of the worrying that Walzer claims to plague mothers is due to their perceived worth. I also agree that the worrying that new mothers feel is not just because they have a newborn, but also because of how they think they should act or be perceived as. I also found it interesting that women feel that their worth and value is connected to motherhood, but also how there parenting skills are perceived by other mothers. Emily pointed out the idea that mothers “need” to worry in order to feel that they are being the best parents they can be. I have witnessed women judging other women and question their parenting skills because of the way their child is acting. I like Emily have talked about who would be a good mother and who just is not cut out for motherhood. Women expected to be mothers and this causes them to be responsible but also connected to their children in a way a father is not. This all connects back to the idea that women are meant to be mothers and that being a good caregiver is evidence of being valuable and a female. I also question how whether if a mother was more laid back would she be perceived as deviant and even a bad mother?

    ReplyDelete