Friday, March 9, 2012

Miss Representation- Tina Seretta


The documentary Miss Representation was just another video that reinforces the high standards that all media sources set for women. The media, TV, magazines, music videos, and advertisements are unbelievably detrimental to our sense of self. Women are taught that their bodies are their only attribute. They are simply sexual objects. “There is no appreciation for women intellectuals”. These messages are being displayed to girls and women daily. Thus, we grow up learning to care what we look like; the media puts an extreme emphasis on the importance of our appearance. Women are held to such high standards of beauty and even though they may try to ignore these messages, many are so normalized and subliminal that it’s impossible to avoid.
            My friend’s mom is in the world of sports entertainment. She is on TV and in the public eye regularly.  The part in the movie where Sarah Palin is asked if she has breast implants reminded me of a similar situation that I witnessed. My friend’s mom was once at a basketball game, one of the player’s mothers asked if she had gotten a nose job. My friend’s mom felt awkward and had no idea what to say. After taking a moment to process the situation, my friend’s mom answered: NO, I did not get a nose job, I never have and I never will.  This is an exact example of how beauty is so vitally important. There is always a pressure for her too look good, and people clearly notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment