Thursday, March 8, 2012

Keith Veronesi's Response to Miss Representation


After watching the “Miss Representation” (2011) documentary film, it is sad to say that it is unfortunately accurate with the perception of women through the media and the eyes of males. The documentary starts out with some very disturbing facts about the struggles of teenagers who are females. The film cites 78% of 17 year old girls are unsatisfied with their bodies. As I sat there and watched the movie, that statistic was something that kept replaying in my mind as the film continued to show images of supermodels, actresses, and other pop culture icons. Why? Frankly, at 17 the last thing I was worried about was whether or not I was appealing to girls because I was focused on other things such as sports, school, etc. Sure, I dressed nice and tried to look presentable so I could be around girls and feel comfortable, but the idea of not eating this or that because I didn’t want to gain a pound or two, or change my hairstyle because that is what was on the cover of a magazine never crossed my mind. But as I continued to watch this movie, and listened to the struggles of these middle aged women, I began to realize that this is always an upward struggle for these women to feel as if they are good enough. Like we talked about earlier in class this year, for a lot of men, the satisfaction comes from being able to show off in front of their male friends, or through competition with other males, but for women its all about satisfying the male population. 65% of women have some type of eating disorder. Think about that for a second. How many males struggle from eating disorders? I am willing to bet that it is not a number that is comparable to that of women. So my question is, do all women feel as if they “owe” it to males, perhaps boyfriends, husbands, etc, to be that “perfect women.?”
I think the answer of that question lies within the movie. The movie brings up pictures and clips of these stunning actresses and supermodels which is almost acts as the ground work for males to base all other females off of. Unfortunately not everyone is a supermodel. But I think males have this ideal imagination that our wives or girlfriends can evolve into the runway models by maybe changing their hair or losing a few pounds, when really that is not fair. This is where media comes in to blame. Again, the film does a great job of portraying how the media views women. We see in the film how virtually every cover girl in any magazine is often digitally altered in one way or another. Males do not understand that what we are drooling about is not exactly a “real” image, yet we try to compare the rest of the female population to these beautiful, flawless human beings. I am not sure, but I do not think that women try to compare men to the Leonardo Dicaprio’s of the world, or maybe they do? But my answer to my own question would be no they do not because as I said before, we do not hear these sad stories of men who put themselves in danger to look acceptable for women.
The way our society has been constructed is also an answer to the problems that women face daily. Yes, a beautiful women can take her looks a long way, but what about the women who are not supermodels or actresses? Unfortunately in our soceity the male population holds the power, and that is something that does not seem likely to change in the near future. Women have been almost portrayed always as inferior to men; never earning the same salary or offered the same position of power. Why is this? Perhaps it is because these men are often the ones who are hiring for these jobs and are not willing to give women a chance to overtake the throne and gain power. The society that we live in sets the ground rules for how women are viewed in the eyes of men, and unfortunately it is always in favor of the men.
            “Miss Representation” was a real eye opening experience for me in terms of really understanding the constant battle that women feel to fit in. Males struggle to be the best and reach the top, while women are constantly struggling for these males accpetance. Something does not add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment