Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thinking About the Baby - Mike Murgo

In Susan Walzer's Thinking about the Baby, she examines the gendered roles of parenthood and the care-taking imbalances between the parents. Firstly, she suggests that mothers worry about their babies because fathers do not. Fathers do not typically think about their children while they are at work or doing other things, and someone needs to care for the child, so it is left to the person who birthed it - the mother. Why is worrying associated with the mother, though? Walzer suggests that it is an integral part of taking care of a baby, as it evokes the scheduling of doctor appointments, babyproofing, and changes in the baby's diet. Moreover, there is a connection between physically caring for the baby and thoughts that reinforce this care - worrying more correlates to doing more. Additionally, mothers tend to be self-conscious about others' perceptions of their parenting. People tend not to think, "That's a good mother," when they see a good mother, but they do tend to think, "That's a bad mother," when they see a mother whose parenting they do perceive as inadequate. Mothers are worried about how others evaluate them as mothers, especially given the social script that mothers are the primary caretakers of the baby. Fathers, on the other hand, are given more slack by society. They are not expected to do all that a mother does in raising a child, nor do they actually do it. Fathers may feel that they are putting in equal work in raising a child, but in reality, mothers tend to be the managers of the required care-taking tasks. Mothers are typically the ones to ask the father to change the diaper or give the baby a bath; they have the extra burden of delegating the work, thus adding extra "mental labor," as Walzer puts it. Considering that their task of baby care if often the mother's ultimate responsibility, mothers become disempowered economically as the fathers tend to work the most.

"She worries a lot. I'm probably too easygoing, but she makes sure he goes to the doctor, makes sure he has fluoride, makes sure he has all of his immunizations. She's hyper vigilant to anytime he might be acting sick. She's kind of that way herself. I kid her about being a hypochondriac. She makes sure he gets to bed on time, makes sure he's eating enough, whereas I'm a little more lackadaisical on that." This account from an actual father represents the general mood of fathers in America. The mother worries about doing most of the work, while the father's job tends to be to tell her not to worry. I know in my personal life, this is how I was raised. My mother was always on top of everything. When I asked my dad a question, I would be answered with, "Ask your mother." Thinking back on life, I was raised almost completely by my mother with little influence from my father. She is surely the person who shaped who I am today. Walzer's analysis of economic disempowerment on the side of the mother is also true in my family's case, as my mother stayed home to care for my siblings and I until I was 5 years old, leaving my father to bring home the most money. Having this advantage, he kept her in the dark financially - even when he was out of work for extended periods of time - and it took years for her to discover how bad the financial situation really was. Walzer's analysis of parental power dynamics were very much alive in my household.

The family is a largely imbalanced and gendered institution, and I can't help but wonder how parents who know of this fact change their behaviors to make care-taking more fair and equal. I also cannot ignore how the biological implications of parenthood, which I had been hoping Walzer's article would discuss more of, play into the roles of parents. Mothers not only carry and birth the baby, but they need to stay with it in order to breastfeed. This naturally gives the mother more work than the father, and thus often times leads the mother to stay home while the father works. Should the fathers be stepping up their game and doing even more than what they perceive as "equal" when you factor the necessity of breastfeeding into the equation, even if they contribute most of their time to the family as the major breadwinner? It's all very tricky, especially when you cannot easily quantify the amount of labor given to the baby in order to divide it 50/50. How will you know when the father is doing just as much "mental work" as the mother, for example? And if one parent is not acting as the "planner" of work, delegating it amongst the two, how will the work get done? Parents will need to sit down together and plan tasks to complete the work without delegation. Making parenthood fair is a complex responsibility, and I am interested to find how it will play itself out if I ever have kids with another man one day, essentially stripping the mother from the equation.

4 comments:

  1. Gender roles within parenting is very interesting. We mostly see the same thing in todays society: women as the care tacker for the family and men as the bread winners. In some instances men will be the “stay at home moms” but this is a rare occasion from what I have seen. I also feel that men may be more involved within their family if they have a son. I have seen spend more time with their son than daughter mainly due to sports. I wonder when will these gender roles will be broken? I think for now they are set in stone because apparently in society they have been working. There is a lot of pressure on a woman to be a good mother and sadly she will be judged by others if her standards don't fit how society thinks a mother should be.

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIke- I like how you bring up Walzer's point about how the mother is usually in charge of scheduling appointments and ultimately the one worrying about if the children are in the right place at the right time, doing the right things, feeling ok, etc. I know in my family my mother has always been the one to let me know I have a doctors appointment on this day or the one to check up on me and make sure my day is going ok, while my father is merely interested in things such as sports and other outside hobbies. Not to say my mother cares more about me then my father, but at the same time it always seems my mother is the one making sure that I have my life in order and she is there to almost baby me through it all. Your last point about whether fathers should feel the need to step up more as a caretaker is a good one and a tough question to answer. I think a lot of fathers have just accepted the role as the producer for the family and believe that is enough. Unfortunately with that idea, that also means that women are the ones who are forced to stay at home and take care of the kids. This is something that has gone on for years and years and almost seems impossible to reverse roles. Good job on the response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Mike and Keith, had the experience that it was always my Mom, not my Dad, who was scheduling things, like doctor's appointments and play dates. I remember that one of the few times my Mom went away when I was younger, my Dad forgot to come pick me up from camp. He was definitely apologetic to me, but didn't really worry about how it looked to other people. In other words, I don't think he felt that the situation made him look like a "bad father." On the other hand, when I was in elementary school, my Mom was the leader of my Girl Scout troop. One day, one of the other girls' mothers forgot to pick her up from a troop meeting. Instead of just being honest and saying that she forgot to pick up her daughter, the Mom made all sorts of excuses as to why she hadn't come. Unlike my Dad, this mother definitely felt that the situation made her look like a "bad mother." Like Mike mentioned in his post, I think that women feel that are judged a lot more for their parenting than men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother has always been the master of the schedule. She constantly reminds me of appointments that I need to remember, birthdays, and even knows my school schedule more than I do. My father, on the other hand, is the opposite. He is never punctual and frequently forgetful. Walzer definitely captured the stereotype of parenting; the mother is the know-all see-all, and the father is there passively, for the most part. This is a sad fact, as my father definitely is forgetful and a more passive parent than my mother. Don't get me wrong, he does participate in a lot of things, but definitely not as much as my mom. Growing up in a divorced household, my father was even worse than he is now, but it makes me happy that he is improving his parenting skills as he gets older, but this article definitely described my father as I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete