Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thinking about the Baby- Tina Seretta


The article thinking about the Baby: Gender and Divisions of Infant care touches on the social construct of gender roles as it relates to the rearing of children.  “Taking responsibility for babies is socially constructed as ‘women’s work’”.  Society perpetuates the idea that women are primary caretakers of their children. This concept has evolved and become so strong because of many different factors. Women tend to worry about their children more frequently. Mothers are constantly concerned about their children’s health and well-being, while fathers tend to be more focused on the economic issues. I agree with this but at the same time I feel that fathers also worry more than the article described, they just don’t necesarly express these feelings openly. For example, I feel that fathers are very protective over their daughters. Growing up my dad was always very protective over certain things. Rather than being obsessed with my health and worrying about doctor’s appointments my dad was more concerned about me being out too late. He always wanted me to check in when I was out late and driving. His worries were just different than my mothers. Still today my dad is always concerned about my safety while my mom is more worried about my health and well-being. I think this would have been an interesting aspect that the article could have explored more. Another personal example that also matches my theory is when my dad took me to the hospital. I got injured in a basketball game and my mom was out of town. My dad had to rush me to the hospital. The whole time we were there I could tell my dad felt uncomfortable, he did not know all the details of my past medical history and he even made a comment that eluded to the fact he wished my mother was around. I have always noticed differences in my parents gendered parenting styles. Society labels women as the caretakers of the home and kids. Mothers are expected to always be concerned about their kids, and if they don’t worry they are looked upon as bad mothers. 
One of the worst representations of parenthood is the MTV show 16 and pregnant. The show trashes father figures; there are no good representations of responsible caring boyfriends/ male figures present.  All the girls end up being the primary caretakers, and even they struggle. The girls struggle with motherhood simply because they are so young and have a difficult time transforming from a lively social 16 year old lifestyle to the pressures of being a mother. The show is a terrible representation of parenthood, and too many young girls watch. 

4 comments:

  1. Tina- I really liked your first point in which you bring up the fact that there is not a specific gene or characteristic in which women are more qualified to nurture children. However, perhaps the reasoning for women to kind of adopt this role is because of the way society has been constructed. The fact of the matter is that women have been given the short end of the stick when it comes to jobs and salaries, in which it often times makes more sense for women to stay at home with the kids while the men keep their job in order to supply for the family. You do a good job in focusing on how men feel that they are supposed to be the ones supplying for the family and that in order for them to feel like they are the leader of the family they have to be the ones supplying for the family too. Lastly you also do a great job touching on the different relationships that children feel towards the mother and father. The mother almost always is responsible for teaching the children while growing up, while the father serves a source of "fun." Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tina’s argument that father’s roles are overlooked and their worries not valued. I think that Walzer does undermine the worries that a father might feel. I think this is because parenting and child-care has been historically seen as the women’s job. This steam from the idea that women are supposed to be emotional and sensitive compared to the idea that being a man is related to rejecting all emotions. It is apparent that much of motherhood is socially constructed and a direct result of how women are perceived and accepted in society. It is typical to see a women nanny but odd to see a male working as a “manny”. Society has made it so that caregiving is part of the female gender performance. Similarly males are expected to be the breadwinner and professional. Men are not expected to be caregivers but are expected to support their families economically. I agree with Tina that in parenting the gender lines are blurred and men do worry and care for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the point that you brought up about mothers and fathers having different worries. In many ways, I feel the same way that you do. I know that both my Mom and Dad worry about me, but I also feel that their worries differ, and that ultimately, it is my Mom who worries more. When I was little, it was always my Mom who would bring me to the doctor and take care of me when I was sick. My Dad definitely had a much more lackadaisical attitude if me or any of my siblings were sick. It's not that he didn't care, he just didn't express as much worry about it. However, I always felt that my Dad worried more about other things. My Dad was always the one working full-time. My Mom has a part-time job, but hasn't worked full-time since my younger brother was born. I knew that my Dad was really the one who supported the family financially and that even if his work schedule meant that he couldn't spend as much time with me or my siblings, he worked so hard because he worried about being able to provide for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, I think your consideration of the differing worries of parents is quite insightful. Interestingly enough, I identify with your story of being in the hospital with your father because I had a nearly identical experience in high school. With a broken ankle and mother out of town on business, I felt sorry for my father, as he was clearly nervous and unsure about the proper protocol in dealing with the situation. My day in the emergency room made me think about how much my mother did for me, as I wrote in one of my other comments, she was constantly overlooked. I won't say my father--or fathers in general--are incompetent or absent, but the roles of a mother are unmistakable. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's quite important to note how parental responsibilities have evolved in accordance with society. They have changed significantly (think about the 1950's) but have remarkably held onto their roots. I find that fascinating.

    ReplyDelete