Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Meg DeJong - "Bros Before Hos": The Guy Code Response


When I set out to reading Michael Kimmel’s “Guyland”, I didn’t think I would be able to relate to the experiences of masculinity that Kimmel discussed. After all, I’m not a guy, so how much of my life could really be wrapped up in this thing called “Guyland”? As it turns out, a lot. One thing that resonated with me was Kimmel’s discussion of how through silence, we all support the practices of “Guyland”. Ultimately, our silence translates into complicity and allows these practices to continue. Reflecting on this idea, I could think back to many times that I was silent when I witnessed practices of “Guyland” that I thought were wrong. 
In particular, one event stood out in my mind: In high school, all the students had co-ed gym classes every semester. For most semesters, I had a gym teacher who held very traditional ideals of masculinity, which often became apparent when we were playing games. I remember playing baseball and watching as he applauded the girls who went up to bat. Most of the girls would swing aimlessly at the ball, clearly showing no interest in the game. Instead of getting angry, he would praise them by saying things like “Good try!”  or “Nice swing!”. However, it was a completely different story when a boy went up to bat. If a boy were to swing and miss, or even hit and then get out before getting to first base, the coach would go ballistic, berating the boy and screaming things like “What were you doing?!”. I remember feeling lucky that I wasn’t on the receiving end of the coach’s rage; however, I also knew that it was wrong for him to treat the boys so differently from the girls. Even though I knew it was unfair, for both the boys and the girls, I never said anything. I figured that the boys were used to this kind of treatment and that it didn’t bother them in the same way that it would have bothered me.
Another thing that struck me about Kimmel’s “Guyland” was how early boys start to have traditional ideas of masculinity engrained into their everyday lives. Additionally, my attention was caught by how often boys use homophobic slurs to insult each other. I think everybody has heard someone use the phrase “That’s so gay” as an insult countless times. I often remember the first time I learned what the word “gay” meant. I was ten and in fourth grade. My teacher had called a special meeting in our class. The entire meeting was to talk about how it wasn’t okay to call other people “gay” as an insult. At the ages of nine and ten, boys in my grade were already throwing around the term “gay” as a slur to emasculate other boys. I often think back on this event and realize how telling it is of our society as a whole that the first time I learned what the word “gay” means was when boys were using in a derogatory manner.
In class, we’ve talked about how masculinity is basically defined by everything that is not feminine. In “Guyland”, Kimmel discussed the terms boys use to insult each other. I was struck my how many of these terms were associated with the feminine. For example, some of the insults were “pussy, girl, skirt, Mama’s boy, and pussy-whipped.” It seems that boys do everything they can to disassociate themselves with anything that can be perceived as feminine. I feel that the role prescribed for men in our society is much narrower than the role for women. For example, blue has become a gender neutral color and a woman could easily wear blue without anyone so much as blinking an eye. However, if a man were to wear pink, he would definitely turn some heads. Furthermore, a girl who chooses to play sports like basketball or soccer instead of doing ballet or gymnastics would likely never be ostracized. On the other hand, if a boy chose to do ballet or gymnastics instead of a traditionally masculine sport, he would likely be ridiculed and called “gay”. Overall, it seems that women and girls in our society are encouraged to be more androgynous than men and boys. Do you think there will ever be a point in our society when boys and men face less restricting gender norms? 

7 comments:

  1. Michael Murgo
    I was immediately struck by a line in your first paragraph - "Ultimately, our silence translates into complicity and allows these practices to continue." Thinking you are neutral in a situation just because you aren't speaking against something or speaking for something is not always the case. Silence, as in this case, can be complicit agreement. Not actively fighting injustices such as indoctrination into gender roles only perpetuates them.
    Furthermore, I liked your focus on the insults that guys tend to use on other guys - “gay, pussy, girl, skirt, Mama’s boy, and pussy-whipped.” It's funny, you never see girls calling each other "penis, boy, pants, or penis-whipped," to de-feminize them, which would be oppositely phrased insults. The only masculine insult I can think of that guys use on each other is "bastard" while girls have many like "cunt, bitch, slut, whore" etc. So many insults are feminine, ones that guys use on each other and ones that girls use on each other.
    When it comes to feminism, we tend to only talk about women's liberation. I'm glad we're finally having the discussion of men's liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, I like that you commented on how confining doing "man" correctly is. I think this fact tends to be overlooked. We as a society tend not to question the gendering of males because I think, in part, men are trained to "just go with" whatever is happening and to conform rather than make a change. Also, women are definitely met with a far more positive response when they behave masculinely than when men behave femininely. Disney's "Mulan", for instance, encourages a woman to fight and behave like a man if that is what she feels inclined to do, but Disney has not yet created a catchy, animated musical about a young man who is sick of saving princesses and would rather be a hairstylist (or something to that effect).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Meg talks about in her response, Kimmel discusses terms that boys use to insult one another. All of these terms are closely related to femininity. The most common insults I have heard growing up are “pussy” or “sissy”. I have one sister and a brother. My brother was constantly made fun of by my dad growing up. If he were displaying softness in any manor my dad would say, “ Nick stop being such a sissy” Since my brother lived with three women the pressure was on him to display his masculinity. My dad would always ask him to help with yard work, and participate in manly household duties. I have only seen my 16-year–old brother cry on one occasion, and that was when he was severely injured during a sporting event. He rarely expresses emotions and is silent in family discussions. Over the years he has truly embodied the restrictions of the Guy Code, he has conformed to a very specific set of rules in order to protect and maintain his masculinity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Meg's observation that gender roles are often more confining for men is an important one and that it is ultimately rooted in the same thing as the use of feminine-based insults. The feminine is devalued and masculinity is defined as everything that is not feminine. To answer Meg's question, men will face less restricting gender roles when we stop defining gender using a dichotomy in which the the feminine is devalued.
      - Brooke Dinsmore

      Delete
  5. John Gallagher
    Meg asks an interesting question at the end of her response. I personally don't think that anytime during our lifetimes these gender norms will change. Just by looking at boys aged 5-15 that I know today, sadly, it seems that this sense of gender norms isn't going away any time soon. I think that with increased media attention on sports and everything else these days, it will be more difficult to escape these norms. Whether this has any relevance or not, its interesting to point out that just two days ago a football game broke the record for most watched TV show in the history of the United States. (166 million people watched) A football game; the most aggressive sport there is. Especially with all the media attention attached and surrounding the Super Bowl in the weeks leading up to it, its hard to see boys backing away from this overall sense of "toughness" that comes with the male gender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, you pose a very difficult question. We, as students of this class, are taking notice of these gender norms that are imposed on both men and women. However, society holds the standards high, and we are but a small fraction of people taking notice. I think of these gender norms as a big pink elephant in the room: everyone know's it's there, but no one really talks about it as much as they should. Society makes the norms look so natural and seamless, that in effect, makes it as though they don't exist. Take for example men in professional sports. As a form of praise, men give each other a tap on the butt. So, it's fine to that, but then men feel emasculated if they're called a "pussy" or "gay". The act of a tap on the ass (pardon my language) is a sign of homoeroticism in sports that is not normally addressed. Because it's become so commonplace, it's "okay" because these men are super strong and play sports. Either way it makes no sense.
    The only way that men can achieve living in a society where they don't need to face such pressure from society to conform to masculinity is for society to begin to talk about gender and it's social construction on larger scales. However, since that would be inconvenient to most people, that'll be a difficult goal to achieve.

    Melissa Monsalve

    ReplyDelete