Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ry's Response:

I now know, after watching Dream Worlds 3 that I will never look at music videos the same.  I thought it was a crazy movie that really captured the negative aspects of the music video industry.  The way that women were depicted now seems like it is some type of equation the directors use.  The music videos are so similar in the ways they portray women.  I found a couple parts of the movie particularly disturbing. Them being the throwing of deli meats, and the numbers they showed at the end to explain sexual assault.  These were the main parts of the movie that really were a shock to me.

The meat throwing part was definitely the most disturbing of the movie to me.  I can not possibly see how people can view that as sexy or attractive.   What I first thought when I saw the clip of it, was it is pretty much just saying that women are pieces of meat and thats all their good for.  I dont know if thats the reason they do that, but that is what I saw.  The other disturbing part about it to me is that the women allow that to happen.  It makes me question are these women being forced into this?  It is just really hard for me to understand why a women would let this happen.  It is scary how society can force some people into this.

The second part I found quite disturbing are the stats they showed at the end of the movie.  The amount of sexual assault on college campuses is very disturbing.  I really had no idea, and I now think and question whether a lot of this behavior is a product of these music videos.  The way they portray women is in such a negative and false way.  It leads men to think that they can manipulate and control women in any way they want.  And it is this behavior that leads to sexual assault.  An example of this is the wet T-shirt attacks Dream World showed and the women came out crying.  Dream World 3 was a very eye opening movie and I will now watch and critique music videos in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment