Saturday, February 25, 2012

Garrett Brown's Response to Dreamworlds 3

Watching Dreamworlds 3, I wasn't shocked about anything that was said or that I saw on screen.  I grew up listening to a majority of the artists mentioned in the film and and seen most of the music videos.  Then and now I'm still disgusted (for obvious reasons) on the way women are portrayed in those videos.  I understand that our world and a lot of the business happens around this motto that "sex sells" but I always raise the question, when do we draw the line? There has to be a point in which we say that this is too much and lets try to be more creative and go about this in a different route.

Of course people argue that it harmless or okay.  I can agree to an extent, if some women feel that they want to expose themselves the way they do then so be it. However, isn't there more than one type of woman. Aren't there women who don't party and get naked as soon as a catchy beat is played? Of course but those women are never shown.  This is one of the issues that the movie brings up.

I also find it completely haunting the way that these videos can directly affect our society.  People will argue that it's just innocent entertainment but it much more than that.  The film states that these videos teaches society about masculinity and femininity and it does.  I can't tell how many times I witnessed actions I saw in those music videos in my high school.  Sometimes it was a little variation but most of the time it was an exact replica.  And if you aren't following what the rappers, rock stars, or pop princesses are doing on TV you are looked at as not being man or woman enough.  It's terrifying and disturbing all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment