Monday, February 13, 2012

Response to "Tuck in That Shirt!" - John Gallagher


John Gallagher Response

Edward Morris’ piece titled “Tuck in That Shirt!” is one that I can really relate to and have somewhat strong feelings about.  While I did not grow up or attend school in a poor and urban environment, I did however attend two schools (grades 4-8, and grades 9-12) that required me to wear a jacket and tie every single day, and remove my hat once stepping foot in a building.  Of course when I first began doing so, I thought of the concept as one of the worst possible things in the world, and I hated wearing that stuff every day.  My friends from my previous elementary school gave me a hard time about my new dress code, and I envied the fact that they could still wear whatever they wanted to school.  In grades 4-8 I was at an all boys school that had a sister school on campus.  We took classes separately, but had enough interaction where I could see how girls were treated by the faculty.  Both of my schools were strict on dress code, especially my elementary/middle school.

Looking back now, a dress code was one of the best things that could have happened to me.  In high school, I was asked to remove my hat, tuck in my shirt, or put on my blazer nearly three times a week, and I can relate to these kids not being the biggest fan of the situation. I understand completely the significance of a strict dress code that is reinforced now however, as it has helped me so much in more proper environments.  Removing my hat in buildings is a gesture that goes a long way with adults, and something I wouldn’t have learned in an environment that put no stress on it.  In grades 4-8 it was regularly enforced to refer to the administration as sir and ma’am.  I am comfortable getting dressed up in “proper” clothing, and do think that it is a very key component for eventual social success.  In an environment such as Matthews Middle School, where the school is comprised of 47% African-American and 40% Latino, and Latinos have the highest drop out rate of any major racial group in the United States, this is a really good thing.  In the article, at one point Mr. Neal was quoted as understanding black female girls are “loud and combative” due to the surroundings that they had grown up in, and he was aware that they needed to be taught the correct social skills because of how much of a problem it had become.  I don’t see how one can argue with Mr. Neal here.  He is only doing what he believes is best for the children at this age.  Enforcing dress code is one method students can learn to behave in a more mature way, especially at a time when students are involved with gangs as such. 

This piece was to me a very interesting read, and touches on some very important points.  The middle school and high school years, one might argue, are the years most important in one’s life.  They are the years when people start to figure out who they are, and the years that help shape one for the rest of their lives.  Morris does a very good job of explaining the setting, and conveying to the reader the actions and reactions of the students.  

7 comments:

  1. In this response John does a really good job in showing how he feels a dress code has been beneficial in his personal life. I think John makes a very good point in talking about how Mr. Neal is looking out for the benefits of the kids and ultimately trying to help them in future endeavors. One thing we have to be careful about in agreeing with a dress code is just that as readers, and as a society as a whole, we have to make sure the dress code holds the same standard to everyone else. Latino's should not be pinpointed as troublesome and therefore be a target for teachers and other faculty members. With that being said John brings up a great statistic to back up his personal feelings about dress codes. With Latino's having the highest drop out rate in America, maybe a dress code can provide them with a better sense of education and a feeling that they belong in school, rather than on the streets.
    Having attended a similar prep school as John, I too agree that being forced to wear a tie and blazer everyday during my high school years is beneficial for me in the end. The mannerisms that were tough just by taking a hat off, or tucking in a shirt do go a long with with higher powers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think John brought up some great points about the good effects a dress code and/or uniforms can have on students. While reading, “Tuck in that Shirt” I often felt that while the author did give a few positive views of uniforms, that most of the language surrounding the subject of uniforms in the article was negative. I agree with John that uniforms, while annoying in the immediate, in the long run provide the students with a level of ease and sophistication in “dress” or “business” clothes. While some may argue that kids should be allowed free expression in as many areas as they can, I agree with the idea that preparing kids for the world they will face as adults is just as important. And the fact is that the business world today requires corporate standards of dress and behaviour in the same way that they require productivity and reliability. Therefore uniforms should not be looked at as a disciplinary tool, as this article sometimes makes them out as, rather they are a lesson in future requirements and expectations. In essence uniforms are not a punishment but an advantage.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I agree that the benefits of a dress code outweigh the arguments against one. I think that a uniform allows for the school to focus the academics and less on the social meaning behind an article of clothing or an outfit. The dress code in Matthews Middle School originally had the good intention. The original goal of preparing their students for success and teaching invaluable manners I feel was lost in the constant enforcement by the teachers. A dress code is beneficial if it does not become a constant battle between the teachers and the students. I felt that at Matthews Middle School the enforcement began to outweigh the importance of an education. I agree that the idea of the dress code but I think that the outcome and the implementation of a dress code go hand in hand. How much will the formality of the uniform benefit the drop out rates if the students feel that the dress code is similar to that of a prison uniform. In this situation I think that the constant “tuck in your shirt” reminders were doing more harm than good for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely understand that having a dress code in schools is important, but how important is it when it alienates individuals and makes them feel uncomfortable in an environment where they are there to learn? As you said, Latinos have the highest drop out rate of any minority in the United States, but the dress code that is enforced in Matthews Middle School is detrimental to that. Since these minorities feel alienated because the teachers and administration try to enforce the dominant culture, these students probably aren't going to take school as seriously as a white student. It doesn't help that they are criticized and held to the dress code more than the White and Asian-American students because they begin to feel distant from school, and the whole concept of an education gets lost in the dress code violations and disciplining. I think that dress codes are very good for some schools, but in this middle school where there are an abundance of students below the poverty line, it seems like it will only cause more problems down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that there are both advantages and disadvantages to the dress code at Matthews Middle School. On the one hand, I think it's positive that the teachers wanted the students to "dress for success" because it encourages the students to think about career goals and being successful. However, in other ways, it can be seen as insulting. After all, Matthews is a public middle school. Generally, most public schools don't require students to wear uniforms, especially if the school is in an affluent area. Therefore, it almost seems as if by virtue of being from a lower socioeconomic status, it was assumed that the students at Matthews needed guidance in how to dress. Also, I agree with Dakota that there's the added negative element of forcing the students to dress in a way that goes against the grain of the community they come from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John makes a great point in describing how school uniforms can develop students' respect and decency in social and academic environments. I agree there are several advantages of a school dress code, even though I have never experienced it. Likewise, I'll admit that I can see both sides of the Matthew's School administration and the students, for while children are encouraged to dress for success and build high morals, there is a fine line between supportive encouragement and condescending discipline. I believe that the reason many of us agree that the uniform implementation is 'wrong' is because, as Meg said, the school is treating the dress code as some sort of correction of the students behaviors, but, more fundamentally, the uniforms are disguising their race. As we know, hiding or covering racial identity and conforming to a norm is not helpful in any way, and the administrators at the Matthew's School should implement uniforms for more equitable reasons.

    ReplyDelete